The biggest issue facing the telecommunications industry is downtime; after all, communications is the service being provided. Proper planning and execution of the repair and upgrade strategies are essential to maintaining a functional network. With an extensive and complex network of equipment and facilities, telecom organizations can utilize various GIS solutions perform tasks ranging from general tracking of resources to analyzing the impact of network expansion into new territory.
GIS applications for telecommunications concerns include:
- Planning new service areas
- Assessing environmental impact
- Inventory facilities and structures
- Reducing redundant deployment of equipment
- Scheduling and dispatching service technicians
- Analyzing interference and transmission efficacy