In our growing eco-conscious world, many regulations are put into place to lighten industrys footprint on the environment. Sensitive species and threatened habitats require due consideration for an expanding society that expects responsible use of natural resources. GIS is an indispensable tool for considering spatial components and balancing the environmental impact of human activity. ISSI staff aids decision-makers by working with biologists and environmental policy advisors to develop applications and solutions for resource management.
GIS applications for environmental concerns include:
- Watershed management
- River floodplains mapping
- Modeling chemical contamination, leaks or spills
- Tracking species population and habitat extent
- Performing geologic studies
- Natural disaster mitigation planning